1,66,538 people in 1,115+ Relief Camps
Death Toll: 324 (as on 17 August 2018)
No. of People Displaced: Around 2,23,000 + Many who remain stranded in the top floors of submerged houses
1. So basically, what is happening in Kerala?
- Kerala received 37.5% excess rainfall from June till date
- 35 of Kerala’s 39 dams have been opened and most have reached full capacity level
- 41 of its 44 rivers have been flowing above the danger mark
- Idduki dam, Asia’s largest arch dam, has been releasing water at the rate of 10-15 lakh litres per second for last 3 days.
- Landslides in Palakkad, Kannur, Wayanad, Kozhikode, Malapuram and Idukki districts
- Chengannur and Wayand have been completely cut off
- All 9 flood monitoring stations of Central Water Commission in Kerala are flowing in ‘Extreme Flood Situation’
- 75,000+ houses submerged in water
- Power Supply suspended in majority regions
- Cochin International Airport has been closed till further notice as the entire runway has been engulfed in water
- Property Damage of ₹ 8000 crores
- MET Department has issues Red Alert, highest level weather warning, in all the 14 districts of Kerala.
2. Why help is required?
- Kerala Government had requested for assistance of ₹ 1220 crores from the Union Government, inclusive of the already allocated ₹ 820 crore. Rajnath Singh, the Home Minister, visited the area and offered just ₹ 100 crore (not even 10% of money demanded)
- The Central Government has still not declared the floods as National Calamity
- Hardly any coverage on the so called ‘national’ English and Hindi news channel
- A campaign urging the ‘Hindu community’ not to help Pinarayi Vijayan’s CPI-M led government with contributions was launched from some known Sanghi social media corners. It actually derailed the collection momentum.
3. How can I help sitting in Delhi?
Chief Ministers Distress Relief Fund:
- Online Link: https://donation.cmdrf.kerala.gov.in/
- Account Details:Name of the Donee: Chief Ministers Distress Relief FundAccount No. : 67319948232Bank: State Bank of IndiaBranch: City Branch, ThiruvananthapuramIFSC: SBIN0070028
Account Type: Savings
SWIFT CODE: SBININBBT08
- Amazon : https://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=8891257031&pf_rd_p=2c1c1ac8-3c7f-4880-b5a7-e870ec58eefa&pf_rd_r=6NGQAPWE90TA1CFN9957Step 1: Click on the linkStep2: Click on 1 of the 3 NGOs (Habitat for Humanity, World Vision and Goonj) to browse their wish listStep 3: Select Products-Add to Cart- Make Payment- Items will be delivered to the NGO-Supply to CampsNOTE: Just to be sure, check the delivery address is of the NGO itself
Material Collection Centres in Delhi
- For Drop Location nearest You, Check: https://goonj.org/droping-centres/
Address: KV Labs, Kalpavriksh healthcare, Plot-66, sector-12a, Dwarka, New Delhi – 110078
Contact: Ms Vineet Kaur- +919535475800 / 8588880440
Timings: Wednesday – Sunday (11:00 AM- 4:00 PM)
- Drop donations at Arya Samaj Saket (Right next to Saket Metro Station, Saket D-Block exit)
- Kerala Rescue: https://keralarescue.in/ (Check the website for District Wise Need and more)
Kerala is in dire need of both financial and material contributions. We urge you to contribute in some way or the other. We need pillars for support and you can be one. Even if it’s a small amount, do contribute.
And finally, do Pray for Kerala.
#doforkerala #keralafloods #StandWithKerala